Monday, August 10, 2015

Backing Up Work & References

Generally, I like to have all my work on a USB drive so that I can be mobile and work from anywhere. This means that I am constantly paranoid that I will leave it plugged into the library computer or  break it and lose everything that I have done so far. In order to prevent this from happening I have been backing up all my work each night on Google Drive, my computer hard drive and another portable hard drive that I leave under my socks.

Basically, every person in academica that I have met has given me the same advice, use some sort of bibliographic software. All of my references are in RefWorks which has made my life so easy when it comes time to reference everything and I can access it whenever I have internet through the ProQuest add-on to Microsoft Word. It even makes my bibliography for me at the end! This has been a huge lifesaver for all of my assignments so far. I'm not trying to advertise for ProQuest but I do appreciate the fact that my university provides the account for free, even when I am an alumni (they charge for EndNote).

I'm not really sure where this post is going, just thought I'd share what's on my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, ProQuest! (Even though I am secretly Team Zotero)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Zotero a bit clunky but I upload all my articles there so I can read them on the bus and I have all the references.

    ReplyDelete